After its triumphant debut in 2017, Not Another Comic Con is returning this Saturday (3rd August) to Birmingham
The location this year is Aston University to take into account its much larger presence and wealth of guests.
This year’s comic guests include:
- John Wagner – Legendary comic writer and co-creator of Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog, and more recently Rok of the Reds, he hardly needs any introduction.
- Al Ewing – Starting his career at British comic powerhouse 200AD, Al has recently been writing for Marvel comics including the superlative ‘The Immortal Hulk’ and more recently Valkyrie.
- Ian Edginton – Another legendary comic writer, Ian has worked on such titles as X-Force, Scarlet Traces and Leviathan. He has also worked for Lucasfilm, Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox to adapt Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Predator and Terminator properties, as well as with the H.G. Wells estate to adapt War of the Worlds for Dark Horse.
- Mike Garley – An EMMY-nominated writer who has written for Adventure Time, Wallace and Gromit, and Image Comics’ 24 panels anthology, as well as creator-owned projects The Kill Screen, Samurai Slasher and Our Final Halloween.
- D’Israeli – The pseudonym of artist Matt Brooker, a multi talented Cartoonist, Writer, Artist and Letterer and is often seen working in conjunction with a certain Ian Edginton.
- Dan Cornwell – Currently collaborating with John Wagner on Rok of the Gods, he’s also worked on 2000AD and previously, Rok of the Reds.
- Emma Vieceli – Currently the writer for Life is Strange, she is perhaps better known as an artist and her recent work includes Olivia Twist, Alex Rider, The Adventures of Supergirl, Doctor Who and Jem & the Holograms.
- Simon Myers – Best known for his work on the Doctor Who Comic Books by Titan Comics, Simon created the “album homage” series of covers and the “watercolour portrait” covers. He has created covers for many more of Titan Comics’ properties such as Assassin’s Creed, Torchwood, Vikings and Sherlock plus artwork for Dark Horse and Star Wars Insider.
- Sonia Leong – A multi skilled Comics and Manga artist, Sonia has worked on Manga Shakespeare Romeo & Juliet, Doctor Who & Assassin’s Creed. She’s also written guides such as Beginning Manga, Manga Your World, Draw Manga: Complete Skills, and 101 Top Tips from Professional Manga Artists.
- PLUS MANY MORE – You can find more info at the Not Another Comic Con website.
- Marc Silk – The man of 100 voices, Marc has worked on Star Wars, Scooby Doo & Shaggy, Johnny Bravo and more. He’s also currently the voice of Grandmaster Glitch on Go Jetters and Captain Rigby
- Mickey Lewis – Mickey Lewis started his Sci Fi career by writing original Doctor Who fiction for BBC Books, penning novels ‘Rags’ and ‘Combat Rock’. He’s appeared as many Dr Who villains such as Daleks, Cybermen and in the 50th Anniversary show, Day of the Doctor, he portrayed the Third Doctor as well as across the recent Star Wars sequels.
Small Press Guests
Cosplay is welcome at Not Another Comic Con and encouraged at their events for all ages. There will also be a cosplay competition on the day. Free to partake in and to watch (with a ticket), and is open to one and all! There will be three main categories:
- Best in show – This is marked on performance, crafting skill and accuracy to the character.
- Best group – This is marked on the joint effort, skill and performance of the group.
- Best young cosplayer – This is specifically for our little cosplayer from ages 1-13.
As well as the huge arrange of guests, there’ll also be a wide range of dealers to fulfill your geeky needs including the fantastic Worlds Apart Birmingham who will be able to fill that space in your Funko collection.
Other cool things to do on the day:
- There’ll be a host of panels, talks and maybe a podcast recording or two across the day in both the Main Hall and the Lecture Room. Keep an eye on the NACC website for full details.
- The GAMERVAN will be on site. Their custom designed and built van is the latest gaming tech, and kitted out with leather bench seating and full length multi-colour led lighting to give the ultimate party atmosphere!
- TheGameLab – A mobile escape experience giving you a puzzling distraction to your day.
The After Party
Tickets can be purchased through Eventbrite
Comic Con General Tips
- Wear Sensible Footwear (if you’re not Cosplaying!) – You’ll probably do a LOT of walking around to try and fit it all in, and don’t forget to bring some plasters for those blisters if needed.
- Drink Plenty of Fluids Similar to wearing sensible footwear, keeping yourself hydrated is always a good idea. The Halls can get warm with the thousands of attendees and you’ll be glad to have some thirst relief. There’s plenty of food options nearby in Birmingham City Centre..
- Bring Cash Most dealers will now accept card payments but the internet data signal can occasionally get overwhelmed. There’s plenty of ATMs onsite so you won’t want to miss out on that exclusive Funko Pop.
- Batteries Whether spare batteries for a camera or a battery pack for your phone, it’s always advisable to bring some POWER with you, if not for yourself, your friends will thank you when you need to make that phone call.
- Hand Sanitiser One of those things that’s always handy after you’ve forgot to bring some!
And most importantly..
- Cosplay Is NOT Consent If you’re taking pictures of some of the FANTASTIC cosplayers you’ll see at Not Another Comic Con, remember to ask permission first. Be polite and respectful and if you love the cosplay, give them a follow on their social media pages.