It’s nearly here! MCM Comic Con Birmingham March 2018 comes to the NEC on 17th and 18th of March (limited Day Tickets for Saturday & Sunday still available here), and Geeky Brummie is here to help you make the most of your experience!
If it’s your first visit, it might be a little bit daunting. Spread over two halls, with so much to see and do, we thought we’d give you a short guide on how to make the best of your time there.
Comic Con General Tips
- Wear Sensible Footwear (if you’re not Cosplaying!) – You’ll probably do a LOT of walking around to try and fit it all in, and don’t forget to bring some plasters for those blisters if needed.
- Drink Plenty of Fluids Similar to wearing sensible footwear, keeping yourself hydrated is always a good idea. The Halls can get warm with the thousands of attendees and you’ll be glad to have some thirst relief. There’s plenty of food stalls both inside the convention and in the NEC itself, or you could pop over to Resorts World if you fancy a more leisurely dining experience.
- Bring Cash Most Vendors will now accept card payments but the internet data signal can occasionally get overwhelmed. There’s plenty of ATMs onsite but the queues can get long with other events on at the NEC. You won’t want to miss out on that exclusive Funko Pop or Build-a-Bear.
- Batteries Whether spare batteries for a camera or a battery pack for your phone, it’s always advisable to bring some POWER with you, if not for yourself, your friends will thank you when you need to make that phone call.
- Hand Sanitiser One of those things that’s always handy after you’ve forgot to bring some!
And most importantly..
- Cosplay Is NOT Consent If you’re taking pictures of some of the FANTASTIC cosplays you’ll see at MCM Comic Con, remember to ask permission first. Be polite and respectful, and if you love the cosplay give them a follow on their social media pages. You can find more information on Photography Rules at the Terms & Conditions Page.
- If you need more info, this handy video from DPiddy will give you some tips:
Comic Con Special Guests
- Pre-Order Your Photos There’s some fantastic guests at MCM Comic Con Birmingham March 2018 including Michael Rooker (Walking Dead & Guardians of the Galaxy), Sean Gunn (Gilmore Girls, Guardians of the Galaxy), Brianna Hildebrand (Deadpool), Mark Sheppard (Supernatural, Charmed, Firefly) Michael Biehn (The Terminator, Aliens), Nolan North (Uncharted, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Assassin’s Creed Series), Troy Baker (The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite), the voice cast of Overwatch and more! They’ll be signing throughout the day. You can also pre-order photo opportunities for Saturday and Sunday and it will help you plan your day around your photo sessions.
- You can find all the photo-shoot times in the the SHOW GUIDE
- Be Respectful Some guests will ask for no photos outside of their scheduled times; please be respectful of their requests. Also, they may not want to shake hands, etc. This is not personal but as they are speaking with thousands of people a day. it’s to reduce the possibility of picking up a nasty cough / cold.
Comic Con Things to Do
- Visit the Comic Village As well as legendary comics artist David Finch, there’ll be some of Britain’s best small press creators including Geeky Brummie faves Time Bomb Comics, Sammy Boras, Webcomic Name, Ryuuza, and Accent UK Comics amongst those appearing.
- Visit the Main Stage to give your feet a rest whilst enjoying one of the amazing talks, such as Talking Comics with David Finch (Saturday 14:30) and 40 Years of Blake’s 7 (Sunday 12:15).
- Find all the times in the SHOW GUIDE
- Watch the Cosplay Masquerade or Join a Fan Meet Cosplay is a fantastic way to make some new friends and embrace your creative side! There’ll be themed Fan Meets, where you can meet fellow fans of your fave theme. Alternately if you think you have what it takes to get your hands on the Cosplay Crown, then register for the Cosplay Masquerade on Saturday or Sunday! Just make sure you follow the Prop Rules too!
- See Robots Live! Fan of Robot Wars? Then you love this! Fighting all weekend will be this great show, providing unique live action, family show, for fans of TVs Robot Wars and Battlebots.
- Buy Stuff It’s inevitable, most attendees will be walking away with a purchase or two. Whether it’s the Funko of your dreams (there’ll be plenty to choose from) or that piece of memorabilia you’ve been chasing for years, you’ll find it here. If you’re after some specialist advice from the lovely team at the Nostalgia & Comics (Forbidden Planet International) stand, or are after your own custom Build-A-Bear, there’ll be a range of stuff as wide as a galaxy to pick up!
- HAVE FUN! Comic Cons are a great place to hang out with friends or make new ones. Enjoy it and say hello if you see the Geeky Brummie team when you’re there!